Saturday, September 09, 2006

Phillips Curve

In Arthur Laffer’s case, it might have been carelessness in the use of words, but the latest attack on the Phillips curve by Larry Kudlow (discussed by Mark Thoma and pgl) is unmistakably either disingenuous or ignorant. (I'd prefer not to use such inflammatory terms, but I just can't think of a nice way to say it.) I single out Larry Kudlow only because his is the most recent example. I’ve heard similar arguments in the past, and I’m never sure whether the people making the argument realize that they are attacking a straw man – a man made completely of straw, that is, with no hope of even finding the Yellow Brick Road. But it’s one or the other: either Larry Kudlow is trying to pull the wool over people’s eyes, or he is somehow unaware of the last 40 years of Phillips curve research...more>>